The Lesser Ritual of the Pentagram (LRP) was designed by the Hermetic Order Of The Golden Dawn and is a means of either banishing or invoking desired elemental energy/energies into the magic circle, and also a method of exalting the soul of the Magician. Under the virtue of the pentagram, all lesser entities will be banished from the magician, and as result of the flaming pentagrams, such entities will not come near the magician unless invited. It should be performed before meditation, and almost all ritual work.
In the words of Aleister Crowley, "[those] who regard this ritual as a mere device to invoke or banish spirits, are unworthy to possess it. Properly understood, it is the Medicine of Metals, and the Stone of the Wise."
In addition to the aforementioned, it dispells negative elements of the psyche when the banishing method is done (including certain elemental vices) and through the invocation of the Archangels, the magician's soul is infused with the virtues.
Many occult authors, including the writings of the Hermetic Order Of The Golden Dawn believe that the neophyte should practice the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram (LBRP) two times daily, invoking in the morning and banishing in the afternoon, then later the Middle Pillar Ritual, Lesser Ritual of the Hexagram, and the Analysis Of The Key Word.
The difference between the LBRP and Lesser Invoking Ritual of the Pentagram (LIRP) is simply the way the pentagram is drawn, along with the intent of course. If you wish to invoke 1 or 2 elements into your circle, then only draw those pentagrams.
When tracing the pentagrams, visualise that you are tracing it into the very fabric of the universe as a blue pentagram, which you are carving with a blue beam of light directed by the chosen mechanism. The pentagram should be drawn according to the element. Trace the pentagrams using either a dagger, a wand, the sign of benediction, or your thumb.
The Following pentagrams should start at the point mentioned first, on to the second point and continued around to end at the starting point.
- Invoking: top right to top left.
- Banishing: top left to top right.
- Invoking: top middle to bottom right
- Banishing: bottom right to top middle
- Invoking: top left to top right
- Banishing top right to top left
- Invoking: top middle to bottom left
- Banishing bottom left to top middle
When the pentagram is completed, inhale deeply and visualize that you are inhaling the name for that direction, letting it permeate your being. When you have finished inhaling, step six inches out with your right foot and throw both your arms forward, vibrating that name and letting its essence flow into the engraved pentagram, thus charging it appropriately.
- Face east and perform the Qabalistic Cross of Light
- With your chosen instrument reach out and trace the lesser banishing pentagram of air, and charge the pentagram with the name "YHVH" (Yod-he-vau-he).
- Face the south and trace the lesser banishing pentagram of fire, charging it with the name "ADONAI."
- Face west and draw the lesser banishing pentagram of water, charging it with the name "EHIEH" (Eh-hee-yeh).
- Turn to the North and draw the lesser banishing pentagram of earth and charge it with the name "AGLA" (Ah-goo-lah).
- Turn once more to the east, by which time you shall have completed a full circle. The visualization should be that on each cardinal direction you have a flaming blue pentagram, each linked to the other with a blue cord of energy.
- Open up your arms, making the Position of the Opener, and say "Before me Raphael, Behind me Gabriel. At my right Michael, and at my left Uriel." Try to actually feel the presence of these four being on either side of you in their corresponding elemental quadrant.
- Go on to say "For about me shines the pentagram," then bring your arms in and cross them over your chest and continue with "and within me flames the six-rayed star." Feel the atmosphere around you crystallizing to your being and molding to your shape as a delicate, easily breakable unit. Quickly and aggressively throw your arms down to your sides, "shattering" that atmosphere and expelling it outwards in all four directions. At that point the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram is complete.
- The reason the Archangels names are not vibrated is because they aren't avatars of God, but rather beings which come to call of the magician.
- These instructions use different pentagrams for each direction. However, in "The Golden Dawn" by Israel Regardie, the LRP uses the banishing earth pentagram only.
- Also in Regardie's book, the Qabalistic Cross of Light is performed again at the end.